Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Rebate

Say it isn't so.

Tell me Americans aren't getting another government rebate check.

I was happy enough when the first check was announced, $600 per couple, back in the spring of 2001. They were going to be distributed in consecutive order, according to the last digits of taxpayers’ social security numbers. And you couldn't get numbers lower than mine! Except -- it went by the (grrr) Head of Household’s number, and you couldn't get higher than my husband’s.

We could afford what we needed then, and most of what we wanted -- overall, we’re not big consumers. But we’d been heads-down in work for a very long time, and it was fun to spend June, July, and August mentally putting the check toward an end-of-summer splurge.

Until finally, the last checks were mailed.

And the next week was 9/11.

The $600 is still in our bank.

1 comment:

  1. Our $600 rebate went to the Democratic Party, partly in protest. I am amazed in my part of the country that local county governments actually ROLL BACK millage rates when property is reassessed and increased in value. I just think of all the infrastructure needs in my growing county, and how libraries have to compete with water and sewer for the few measly dollars available...a tragedy, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete